Learning can be easier with EX - Library.

Explore our newest feature, a reliable informational resource you've been looking for!
Join |
< Back to questions :: Q&A / Trade Associations / Food and Agricultural Produce

IRS number

Trade Associations
Food and Agricultural Produce
From Malaysia
To Taiwan
462 views / 0 experts
Raymond Y.
Nov 17, 2020

My partner and I started a business three years ago, but I ended up buying him out earlier this year. Now that I run the business by myself, the IRS says I have to apply for a new tax ID, but all my records are under my current tax ID. What should I do?

1 answer

David W.
Nov 17, 2020

Under IRS rules, buying out your partner constitutes a "change of status" that requires you to get a new federal tax ID number. But because you bought him out earlier this year, there's still time to consider making your spouse or significant other a partner with a 1 percent partnership interest. That way, you'll preserve your status as a partnership and can keep your current tax ID number. Just don't "backdate" any documents, as that will get you in serious legal trouble if you're found out.

read more

Top Rated Experts

Raymond Yang
Raymond Y.
Leon Lacroix
Leon L.
Amber Stellingwerf
Amber S.
This website uses cookies. By using this website, you consent to our use of these cookies