Learning can be easier with EX - Library.

Explore our newest feature, a reliable informational resource you've been looking for!
Join |
< Back to questions :: Q&A / Regulations/Policies / Stationary and Educational Supplies

IRS issues

Stationary and Educational Supplies
From Portugal
To Spain
328 views / 0 experts
Nov 20, 2020

What do I do if the IRS issues more than one ID number for my business?

1 answer

Kerim A.
Nov 20, 2020

Let's say you file Form SS-4 with the IRS, and then get impatient and call the IRS' toll-free phone number. Because you're dealing with two different IRS offices, there's a good chance the IRS will issue two different ID numbers for your business. If this happens, you must get the IRS to expunge the duplicate number from its records; otherwise they'll think you're operating two different businesses with the same name and will be looking for two different tax returns each year. To correct this problem, first call the IRS', explain the problem to the agent, and ask for the "entity fax number" for your regional IRS office. The agent will give you this number over the phone. You must then fax to this "entity fax number" a brief note explaining the discrepancy and telling the IRS which of the two numbers you plan to use for your business. The fax should be addressed to "BMF: Business Master File." Make sure the number you want the IRS to keep on file is the number you have used to open your checking account.

read more

Top Rated Experts

Raymond Yang
Raymond Y.
Leon Lacroix
Leon L.
Amber Stellingwerf
Amber S.
This website uses cookies. By using this website, you consent to our use of these cookies